This aptly describes what happened to former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo who failed to exercise her right to travel (euphemism for escape abroad) last week. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima used as basis Circular 41.
Ironically, then Justice Secretary Alberto Agra signed the order on May 25, 2010 now considered as among her thousands of midnight orders before she left Malacanang. It practically gave the justice secretary the power to hold suspects even if the cases against them are still pending with the prosecution.
Now, Arroyo’s lawyers are saying Circular 41 is unconstitutional.
Expect the pro-Arroyo midnight appointees in the Supreme Court to declare the Arroyo midnight order – Circular 41 – unconstitutional. Of course, they believe they can do so because their midnight appointments are supposedly constitutional.
Come to think of it, Cong. Arroyo is desperately trying to gain the upper hand by demonizing President Noynoy Aquino for depriving her of the right to travel. But Circular 41, which mocks her credibility and claim to moral ascendancy, is her own undoing.
In her desperate attempts to escape justice, Arroyo has lost whatever shred of credibility she had left. Insisting on the unconstitutionality of Circular 41 demonstrates how pathetic (and funny) her legal position has become.
PS. When former president Erap Estrada was arrested during Arroyo’s watch, she allowed the sensational publication of his mug shots. Now, she wants her mug shots hidden from the the public because she is a former president. As our family driver observed, “kon mug shot sa mangawat og manok ma-newspaper, nganong di man ang mug shot sa presidente nga gipasanginlang nangawat og boto?” (by Emmanuel ‘Anol’ Mongaya)
- P-Noy’s political will against GMA only, not the Ampatuans? (inbetweencolumns.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Gloria Arroyo stopped a woman, with an illness and a case just like hers, from leaving the country for four year (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- Topacio’s egg saved plus meaty Facebook rejoinders (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Arroyo’s pleas political, not human rights issue (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- Hold order against GMA rests on shaky grounds without court order (jasondeasis.wordpress.com)
- Philippine Massacre Victims to File Case Vs Arroyo (abcnews.go.com)