The protesters, mostly students and workers, intended to hold a camp-out at Mendiola, the short road to Malacanang that was a scene of dramatic protest actions calling for democracy during the dark years of dictatorship.
But the police, in the name of security of the present Palace occupant, do not want protesters to exercise their democratic rights in Mendiola. So they blocked the marchers before they could even approach this symbol of the Filipino people‘s struggle for democracy.
This scene evoked memories of the dispersal of protest actions participated by the colleagues and supporters of Noynoy’s parents during the dark Marcos years from the early 70s to the 80s.
- Panay, Guimaras students gear for ‘Day of Action’ (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- December 10, Human Rights Day. (aliceverheij.wordpress.com)
- Watch LIVE: Hillary Clinton’s Speech in Geneva Commemorating International Human Rights Day (towleroad.com)
- 10 Things To Do With Your Kids on Human Rights Day Dec. 10th! (humanrightswarrior.com)
- UNMIL Press Briefing with UN, Liberian Human Rights Commissions and Civil Society partners on the occasion of the upcoming Human Rights Day (appablog.wordpress.com)
- MINNESOTA, USA: 10 Things To Do With Your Kids On Human Rights Day on Dec. 10th! (worldmomsblog.com)