Media’s access to documents belittled?
By Bong Galarpe
A volunteer lawyer for the House prosecution panel looked amused when asked about questions raised by Senator-Juror Joker Arroyo and the lead counsel for the defense Serafin Cuevas on documentary evidence reaching the hands of reporters covering the impeachment trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona.
During a brief visit home in Cebu Friday last week, volunteer lawyer for the prosecution Atty. Aristotle ‘Totol’ Batuhan said they should not blame the prosecution but instead credit the initiative and enterprise of journalists covering the trial.
Noting that all the media outlets assigned teams of their topnotch reporters, Batuhan said journalists covering the impeachment trial go to the Senate as early as 7am in order for them to witness the markings of said documentary evidences.
“That’s how they (journalists) get hold of copies of documentary evidence,” Batuhan said. “It’s a product of journalist initiative and enterprise. We in the prosecution did not supply them copies of these documents.”
Batuhan, who is one of two Cebuano lawyers who volunteered their services for the prosecution (the other one is Atty. Rex Fernandez), is a member of the prosecution’s communications team.
“They (Cuevas and Joker) should not underestimate the initiatives of reporters,” Batuhan said. “Kudos to the media for doing their job faithfully.”
Don’t repeat 2nd envelop mistake! (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- Did Corona submit a truthful SALN? (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- Cebuano lawyer among private prosecutors vs. Corona (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- Impeachment thrill: Sen. Bong might open his mouth (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- Impeachment (thefineprints.wordpress.com)
- Witnesses vs. Corona lined up (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- The Corona Impeachment Trial: one positive historical note to consider (filipinoscribbles.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] ‘Journalists are not the story’ – RAPPLER.com (hronlineph.com)
- Sharing a FB post: Why the media should connect the dots (derdo.wordpress.com)