you're reading...
Pablo

Pablo aftermath updates

PRworks’ aid thru Balay Mindanao

The victims need food and water. Cash donations are welcome. Doris Mongaya, managing director of PRworks Inc., relayed this message from NGO workers engaged in relief work in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley provinces shortly super typhoon Pablo hit Mindanao on December 3, 2012.

Taken by a Balay Mindanao employee at Barangay Bagangga, Davao Oriental.

According to newspaper reports, the death toll and missing individuals due to Typhoon Pablo soared to nearly 2,000. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said fatalities climbed to 902, while missing persons reached 934. Those injured hit 2,661 with only 136 others rescued.

Meanwhile, damages to properties went up to P14.3 billion. The government and non-government organizations have provided P76 million worth of relief items to typhoon victims.

Mongaya said she urged the PRworks staff to spread the word among friends and relatives to share whatever they could to the victims of typhoon Pablo. These will be sent to Balay Mindanao Foundation Inc. (BMFI) that deployed teams of NGO workers to affected areas.

Accounts of the BMFI teams are chronicled at http://balaymindanaw.org/main/bmfi/2012/12/balay-mindanaw-pablo-disaster-response-update-no-6/

Based in Cagayan de Oro, BMFI had been a PRworks partner in the aftermath of typhoon Sendong last December in distributing assistance to members of the CDO media affected by the killer floods.

Globe Telecom restores service in Mindanao

While heavily-battered provinces in Mindanao are still reeling from the aftermath of Typhoon Pablo, leading telecommunications company Globe Telecom was able to bring a semblance of normalcy in the region with the restoration of its text, call, and data services.

Globe Telecom distributed relief goods today (December 7) to 600 families in Brgy. Aurora and New Bataan, two of the areas in Compostela Valley devastated by Typhoon Pablo. The relief operations were led by Benjie Garcia, Globe Regional Sales Head in South Mindanao together with 20 employee volunteers from Davao. At the same time, Globe continues to offer free calls and texts to all networks at the Libreng Tawag station located at the Compostela Municipal Hall, Poblacion, Compostela Valley. With Libreng Tawag, affected families would be able to communicate easily with their friends and loved ones in the country and abroad.

In just a few days, Globe Telecom facilities ravaged by floods and mudslides were restored.  Globe experienced service interruption due to fiber optic cuts in Agusan del Sur, Davao Oriental, Surigao del Sur, Compostela Valley, Bukidnon, Misamis Occidental/Oriental as a result of heavy rains and strong winds.

“We continue to make our network disaster-ready by addressing points of failure and investing heavily on resiliency and redundancy measures.  Our trained and committed teams serve as our second line of defense in cases like this when our network is also hit by the disaster.  Even now, our engineers and partners are working together to restore a few remote sites affected by collapsed towers,” said Robert Tan, Globe Chief Technical Adviser.

He added: “Our people are trained to prepare for and respond to a disaster and ensure immediate restoration of services.  Thus, we would like to thank our field personnel who have worked and continue to work hard during these severe conditions to restore outages brought about by Typhoon Pablo.”

Likewise, as a testament to the company’s unwavering commitment to public service, Globe has conducted relief operations in two badly hit areas in Compostela Valley as well as organized a Libreng Tawag Center at the municipal hall.

Disaster preparedness and response has always been an integral part of the company’s operations, with the safety and security of its employees being the paramount concern, along with the protection of its properties and assets.

Days before the typhoon made a landfall, Globe has activated its weather advisory and alert system to ensure an enterprise-wide, uniform response to the calamity.  On the day itself, Globe issued advisories to employees in affected areas to provide guidance and ensure their safety.  The technical people also issued reports to top management and key leaders about the state of the network every two hours.

Other updates

Why were the emergency telecom kits not sent to Mindanao? (Carolyn O. Arguillas, Minda News)

Mining, logging contributed to Pablo disaster (MYNARDO MACARAIG, Agence France-Presse)

3 towns completely devastated: Oxfam (www.oxfamblogs.org)

International church-based relief group sends team to Mindanao (Union of Catholic Asian News)

 

About anol_cebu

As chief digital officer of PRworks Inc., Emmanuel Mongaya manages the digital communications of the public relations agency. He also blogs, writes columns for Sun.Star Cebu and Superbalita, and serves as administrator for “Maghisgot Kitag Politika Bay,” Cebu’s dynamic political community in Facebook.

Discussion

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Pingback: Philippines says Thank You | PRworks Online - May 19, 2014

Tell us what you think?

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 4,907 other followers

Bitaw no?

Filipino & Pinoy Blogs

Our Regular Writers

Election 2016 Countdown

Election DayMay 9th, 2016
Vote Wisely!

Human Rights Online Philippines

%d bloggers like this: