We, concerned citizens, civil society organizations, business groups, and individuals of goodwill, guided by our respective beliefs and by our love for the Philippines, denounce the pork barrel system which is at the heart of the present corrupt political system.
In the pork barrel system, lump sum amounts are placed at the discretion of only one person; which allows him/her to use public funds for patronage politics, political dynasties and personal gain.
We are united in condemning this CORRUPTION!
As the SOVEREIGN PEOPLE, we, the REAL BOSSES are UNITED in ORDERING our PUBLIC SERVANTS the following:
- Immediate resignation of public servants who are formally charged by the Department of Justice.
- Punishment of convicted pork barrel schemers and the return of their loot to the coffers of the people.
- Abolition of the pork barrel system by whatever name or form. We include the pork barrel of all three branches of government, namely, the executive, legislative, judiciary; and their ancillary departments.
- Respect for and protection of the people’s sovereign right to reclaim management of public funds for the benefit of the common good, such as social services. This is one way of eliminating patronage politics.
- Providing the people with all the information they need in the interest of transparency, accountability, participation, and co-responsibility.
To turn these demands into a workable reality, civil society organizations, business groups, the academe, the different religions, non-believers, credible representatives from the government, and individuals of goodwill with relevant competence, will come together to thresh out the concrete details of this unity statement.
Likewise, we express our contrition for “we are not just victims of a corrupt system. We have all, in one way or another, contributed to this worsening social cancer—through our indifferent silence or through our cooperation when we were benefiting from the sweet cake of graft and corruption.”
We, the people, honor the God of our understanding and one another. We re-confirm our pledge to our country. We honor and respect our laws, regulations and ordinances; and public servants who serve the common good.
CEBU COALITION AGAINST THE PORK BARREL SYSTEM
ARCHDIOCESE OF CEBU
Office of the Archbishop
16 September 2013
THE ARCHDIOCESAN BISHOPS, CLERGY, RELIGIOUS MEN AND WOMEN, SEMINARIANS, AND LAY FAITHFUL
My dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
“Hate evil and love good and let justice prevail…” (Amos 5, 15)
In view of the pork barrel controversy, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) exhorts the Catholic Faithful to fulfill the “Christian duty to transform society and restore all things in Christ.”
The call is for everyone to be concerned, to be discerning, to be involved!
I am happy that in Cebu, the Coalition Against the Pork Barrel System is organizing a March-Rally on September 29, 2013 to scrap the pork barrel system and to denounce corruption.
Wherefore, I enjoin the whole Archdiocese of Cebu to be actively involved in this activity. The following are some of the things through which we as Catholics support the good political governance initiatives of civil society:
1. Ask the people to sign the attached UNITY STATEMENT. Explain its contents to the people during homilies. Do the same thing in the schools and among our church organizations and communities.
2. Send parish delegates from schools, lay organizations and movements, seminaries, and religious communities to the September 29, 2013 activities in Cebu City:
· 1:00PM Assembly at Fuente Osmeña
· 1:30PM Holy Mass at Fuente Osmeña
· 2:30PM March from Fuente Osmeña to Osmeña Blvd, Sanciangko, back to Fuente.
· 3:30PM-6:00PM Program at Fuente Osmeña.
3. Priests are encouraged to concelebrate the September 29, 1:30 p.m. Mass at Fuente Osmeña. Delegates may bring their banners and candles for the march/program that will follow after the Mass.
May we continue to let God’s saving grace work through us. May Mary, our mother, always guide our efforts in building God’s kingdom of justice, peace and love.
Non nobis Domine,
+JOSE S. PALMA, D.D.
Archbishop of Cebu
N.B. For inquiries, please contact the Archdiocesan Discernment Group through tel. # 032-406-8079; mobile # 09238720288; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.